Generalisations without 'the'

The does not mean 'all'
We do not use the in generalisations (普遍化;概括;綜合;歸納)with plural and uncountable nouns

e.g.

I like music <-> Can you turn off the music?
She's very interested in nature. <-> What is the nature of his illness?
People have to live in society <-> I've joined the Poetry Society
Books
are expensive <-> Put the books on the table

We do not normally use the in generalisations with plural and uncountable nouns, even if there is an adjective before the noun

e.g.
She's studying Chinese history.
He collects antique clocks.

But we use the when a description with of follows the noun

e.g.
She's studying the history of China.

We can use the in generalisations with singular countable nouns, to talk about a whole class of things. This is common in scientific and technical language

e.g.
Who invented the telescope?
The tiger is in danger of dying out.
I can't play the piano.
I hate the telephone.
I love the sea.
Do you like living in the country?
I never go to the cinema or the theatre

留言

此網誌的熱門文章

Starting the presentation (開始陳述)

婚宴座位編排

婚姻登記處地點、時間